Wednesday 10 August 2011

Siegfried Berndt



If Emil Orlik went all the way to Japan to learn the art of woodcut, then Siegfried Berndt (1880 - 1946) did the next best thing: he went to Scotland. He was born in Goerlitz in the far south-east of Germany in 1880. If  he had been born in 1889 as some people seem to think, he would have been nine years old when he entered the Academy of Fine Art in Dresden and although he came out as a prizewinner, even Berndt wasn't that sort of prodigy.



I've started this post off with two versions of Auf der Rehde (the topmost is from 1925, the one below from 1911) to try and give some idea of what kind of an artist we are dealing with here: someone willing to try out new ideas and someone who was willing to learn. At Dresden between 1899 and 1906, a leading student of the landscape painter Eugen Bracht (1842 - 1921), he had also managed to become an accomplished printmaker. My hunch is that, like Orlik, he had to pick things up where he could. Winning a travel scholarship in 1907 certainly gave him the chance to study far away from the academy.




Paris was an essential stop-off on the itinerary and Bruckenlandscahft von St Cloud shows an artist who has not only learned from Japanese woodblock but an artist who was well-aware of the lessons of French impression. But what strikes me most about this work is the freedom of his handling. This is still a painter's work, with none of the graphic qualities we associate with C19th Japanese printmaking. In fact, I will say this now: I think talk of the influence of Japanese art on Berndt has been overdone. I don't know if this print was made in France or when he returned to Germany. He also visited Belgium.


But Scotland is far more intriguing. I certainly can't think of any German or Austrian printmaker that made Scotland the subject of one print let alone two. In Hafen von Stranraer  he moves sideways into the spare, muted territory of the German printmaker Wilhelm Laage. Unfortunately, I was unable to track down an image of Brucke uber der Firth of Forth but Edinburgh is nearer to home. The idea that fascinates me is this one: Frank Morley Fletcher has become director of the Edinburgh College of Art in 1906 and I am guessing this is what took Berndt as far as Scotland. He wanted to learn from someone who was working in the Japanese manner. (By then Orlik was not). I also think that Orlik's Japanese prints were too literal for what Berndt wanted.


This woodcut is seriously Japanese but is seriously German as well. The sketchiness of the details also remind me of Fletcher. The glorious print below does not. This makes me think of Ponte degli Alpini by a Scotsman, Charles Hodge Mackie (1862 - 1920). What I suppose I am saying is that Berndt was somewhere between magpie and chamaeleon. It's another way of saying he was modern.




I am also going to say now that I am a late convert to the work of  Siegfried Berndt despite the nice noises I have made elsewhere online. (Look if you dare). I thought his prints were hesitant and amateurish but there is nothing like the kind of photographs you get on ebay to give the worst impression possible of any artist let alone a more experimental one like Berndt. So I didn't look farther.



It would be very easy to play spot-the-artist with Berndt. It's a temptation I'm going to resist. What I will say is that he must surely have known the work of the impressionists as well as Cezanne and Van Gogh. The three cows are starker than Walther Klemm would have done them but I think he knew Klemm's early woodcuts. (Klemm taught in Weimar from 1913 onwards). The strong colours and high horizon are Klemm with the Vienna Secession removed. The use of other artists is a key to his prolific printmaking - remember that he was also painting.



I am going to leave you to make up your own minds about the rest of these strong and varied prints. Yes, he often does boats and water but he is far less susceptible to the old standby of snow. (I held a snow scene back, partly because the image was murky). I don't really know a great deal about his life or career after he returned to Dresden. He married and between 1932 and 1941 taught at Waldorfschule. There must be other written sources in German somewhere and his prints are still available. A commercial Berlin gallery held an exhibition of his woodcuts from 1905 to 1945 only last August.





I know he came to monchrome woodcuts after the first war, surely influenced by the contemporary work first of Die Brucke and then the Expressionists. This says alot about his willingness to adapt. But true to form, he amalgamates with aplomb. Because there is Cezanne and van Gogh in the mix as well as art deco. (Those two artists I have to say come over more in his oil paintings). And with facility like that, it's no wonder he won prizes. [I forgot to say I nned to credit Annex Galleries for the 1925 version of Auf der Ruhe.]






9 comments:

  1. This article the summing up of most what is known about Berndt plus an experts opinion on his importance and talents as a printmaker I suppose. A fine chapter in the book of Modern Printmakers. These many new (to me) examples proof of his until now neglected status among the first group of important European printers. The Scottish trip and F.M.Fletcher connection also a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All we know is that he was on a study trip to Scotland but I think it's a possibility, at least.

    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Siegfried Berndt was my grandfather. A lot of pictures (oil, several art briefcases exist on him in watercolor, woodcuts and rice sketches) are all in my possession. The rice sketches (approx. 100 pieces) originated, during a trip which led him outgoing from Paris via Brussels, Antwerpern, London to Scotland. This trip was allowed to him on account of a picture (hay harvest) and lasted one three quarters a year.
    About Siegfried Berndt a book soon goes to pressure. This was worked out by a teacher of the whale village school of Dresden. Siegfried Berndt was even a teacher of the whale village school - in addition, still at many other schools. So also, among the rest, with an architect's class. The author of the book is a direct successor at the before called school and has come along to the task to get Siegfried Berndt again something from the sinking and to do to the general public present.
    This book gives insights into the artistic and private live of Siegfried Berndt. Besides, it contains a row of pictures. For an establishment of contact with me here my e-mail address: ch-sa-hen@t-online.de. I would be glad if announces itself here the one or other. Sabine Henschen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking the time to reply, Sabine. I didn't really know enough about your grandfather to do him justice here but I think his work is quite well-known amongst collectors, at least.

    I assume the book will be in German but I shall certainly do a post if you let me know the publication details etc. I am fascinated to know which artists he met while he was in England and Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buch ist veröffentlicht. Sie können mit mir Kontakt aufnehmen unter ch-sa-hen@t-online.de
    Es gibt zu dem Thema sehr viel zu berichten. Wenn nötig, kann ich auch etwas Englisch. Im Augenblick bin ich am Erstellen einer Webseite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buch ist veröffentlicht. Ich habe noch sehr viel mehr zu Siegfried Berndt und alle seine Werke zu berichten, wovon sich sehr viele in meinem Besitz befinden.
    Danke für Ihre Antwort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Autor des Buches: Andreas Albert. Buchdruck: Husum Verlag (ISBN 978-3-8976-681-4)
    Siegfried Berndt - Künstler und Lehrer auf dem Weg zur Selbstfindung und Weltentdeckung.
    Ausstellungen sind geplant. Eine in Dresden in nächster Zeit. 2015 in Görlitz - seine Geburtsstadt.
    Im Augenblick erstelle ich eine Webseite mit all den Werken, die in meinem Besitz sich befinden. Hinzu kommt seine Tochter (1915 bis 2007), die an der Kunstakademie in Dresden studiert hatte und später als Werbegrafikerin eines namhaften Grafikers in dessen Atelier als freie Mitarbeiterin gearbeitet hat. Sie hat viele mehrfarbige Linoldrucke, Bilder in Acrylmalerei, Kreidezeichnungen und Aquarelle geschaffen, die ebenfalls in meinem Besitz sind und in die Webseite mit eingebunden werden. Wenn die Webseite veröffentlicht ist, werde ich mich wieder melden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wie hiess Siegfried Berndts Tochter? (Terrence O'Keeffe)

      Delete
  8. I'm trying to run down a German painter from this period named Berndt (an ancestor of a friend of mine). The painter definitely had connections to Dresden. Siegrfried Berndt might be my friend's great uncle, or the man in question might be Carl Berndt (who also lived and painted in Dresden and Delmenhorst at the right time). Your man Siegfried is a far better artist (in terms of conception and execution) than Carl, who was primarily a still-life-with-flowers painter. I'll try to learn more and get back in touch. I'm Terrence O'Keeffe (not Joanne, my wife, who automatically pops up on these google searches) and my e-mail address is rtok88@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete