Monday 20 February 2023

Ethel Kirkpatrick: from auction-house to ebay




I know full well that dealers move pictures around. They buy them in one place and immediately try and sell them somewhere else. I am sure many of us have done the same thing at times. I know I have. But the latest example of this kind of behaviour I find depressing and annoying. I am talking about the three Ethel Kirkpatrick colour woodcuts I wrote about recently and which were a bargain when they sold for about £350 I think. No longer a bargain, though. Going under the poncey name of Boston Fine Art, some chancer has the same three prints up for sale at the colossal starting bid of £1,250 each. What gets me is that the individual hasn't even bothered to make a distinction between the three of them.

But let us try and get this greed in perspective. The same outfit has a rather scruffy-looking woodcut by Eric Hesketh Hubbard up for £350. They obviously have no idea because the Hesketh Hubbard is described as a linocut. I mean I quite like Hubbard but only the deranged would pay so much for it. Who are these rogues? And will any of the Kirkpatricks sell? I certainly hope not, but like anything, I suppose, it is worth a try.

2 comments:

  1. I am thankful for the author's ability to make the reading experience enjoyable and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit as soon as I had written this post, I thought I had gone too far. Perhaps it ought to come down!

      Delete