Monday 9 January 2023

Font size

 



Not surprisingly, there has been comment about the change in font size on the blog and I want to reassure readers that the change of size within some of the individual posts is not an eccentricity, but a failure on my own part to control the new system adequately.

I remain open to suggestions from readers, but I may not be able to reproduce the flawless script of this alabaster plaque from the 1570s at the Priory Church of St Michael at Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire. Nor will I be entertaining you in Tudor Latin.

For the historians and place-name enthusiasts amongst you, Breedon partly derives from the British word 'briga'. The most recent scholarship by Alan James, who now lives at Kirkcudbright, is definitive. He says it means 'a fortified place'. The church is built within a defensive compound of something like the second or first century BC. 

                                              


1 comment:

  1. One of the best things to have happened since the turn of the year has been the return of Modern Printmakers after a year`s hiatus which I had feared might be terminal. I look forward to many more of haji-b`s insightful posts on hitherto obscure artists of the late 19th /early 20th century.

    ReplyDelete