Wednesday, 6 September 2017

Charles Paine: a new book by Mark Allaby

                                                                 

I have just heard today from Mark Allaby who tells me he has published a book about the talented British designer, Charles Paine, a designer, I have to add, who gets the full approval of Modern Printmakers. As soon as I get a copy, I will be reviewing the book and giving details of how you can get a copy of your own.
                                                                         
                                                                                   
Paine worked as head of applied art at the School of Arts in Santa Barbara in the twenties, so there will be something for everyone. You see him here in his smock with what appears to be a design for stained-glass windows behind him. It's an odd combination, the rural smock and the discriminating modern face. I'm not sure what he is holding (probably his pipe ) but all will be revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment