Wednesday 6 March 2013

Robert Gibbings: the Fenian and the Orangeman


                                                                                  
The allusion to his Irish background in this colour woodcut by Robert Gibbings is both troublesome and fascinating. Is this also the errant medical student who left the bogs of Munster with only enough money for one term, was it, at the Slade? It's just as good to see it together with its companion piece called Play, which was bought by the V&A in 1922, the year the Irish Civil War broke out.

                                                                                          
The top print comes up for a auction at a three-day sale at Bamford's of Derby beginning Wednesday 13th March. It's a quite wonderful piece and I wonder which of the national collections will be bidding.

6 comments:

  1. I searched the Bramford catalog of 13 March and didn't see the print. Does anyone know if it indeed came up and what it fetched?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't sell, was offered again at Nottingham, now hangs on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take it that was at Mellors and Kirk. But wasn't it also on ebay as collect only? Either way, it didn't sell because the reserve was too high. Even though Gibbings is a fine printmaker, the appeal of this print was obviously limited. When it didn't sell, I actually thought about making you an offer myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought it- thanks to your blog! No reserve set, so I suppose the previous owner got fed up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I suppose that is partly what it's all about. I am curious to find out where you bought it. Or did I miss something?

    ReplyDelete