Tuesday 15 March 2011

Anna Findlay




I wish that I could have posted more work by the coolly beautiful Scots printmaker Anna Findlay (1885 - 1968) but these three linocuts are all that I could find. You will not be surprised to learn that Findlay studied under Claude Flight at the Grosvenor School of Modern Art in London but probably will be surprised to find out that she also exhibited in St Ives between 1928 and 1936. Her father Colonel James Findlay was a great supporter of the Arts Club there. Even so, his daughter moved on to Glasgow about 1938. (As ever, I am indebted to the excellent Cornwall Artists Index for the St Ives info.)



As you see, she was far from being standard-issue Grosvenor School. The usual overly energetic linocutting is absent and in its place we have a cool analysis of line and tone that puts me in mind of her near contemporary William Roberts (1895 - 1980) and of our contemporary Bridget Riley (b 1931). We are lucky enough to have a date for 'The paper mill'. It comes from 1934 and typifies, so far as I can see, the complex of architecture and reflection she made her own. Unfortunately I was unable to track down a single wood-engraving by her. But I very much hope this post is only a humble beginning and that we will soon see more work by this elegant and desirable printmaker.











11 comments:

  1. Indeed very nice, and new to me. As are the others mentioned. I have homework to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too. I turned up another image tonight which I'd forgotten about. What looks like a colour woodcut made before she attended the Grosvenor School.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charles - What a surprise to find an artist as elegantly assured as this who is to all intents and purposes completely unknown. And also a Grosvenor School printmaker who values quiet and repose rather than movement and rhythm. Thanks so much for bringing her to the attention of the ever-eager but at the moment patchily-informed worldwide web.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neil, thanks for the appreciation. I keep beating drums and sometimes people listen and sometimes they don't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are wonderful in a very spare and elegant way. I've stumbled across a great find where you can purchase excellent giclée prints after Grosvenor School work - the Bookroom Art Press. They sell prints after works by Cyril Power, too, and Sybil Andrews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mm, well, very interesting but Modern Printmakers is dedicated to original prints not reproduction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just for the record Colonel James Findlay was her brother not father as my mother was Col James Findlay's daughter and Anna Findlay was my great aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks for the correction. I was trying hard to make the best of my limited knowledge about your great aunt. Anything more that you know about her would be of considerable interest. You can always contact me at cgc@waitrose.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am researching copyright for a public Art Gallery here in New Zealand and would like information re copyright for Anna Findlay.Any chance of contacting Anonymous perhaps through Haji baba.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi to Anonymous on Feb 2 my name is Annarose Dawson (Rosie) and can be emailed on info@dunnesafrica.co.za. My mother was Col James Findlay and Aunt Anna was one of my great aunts - she was living in Glasgow when she passed away with her other sister Cath.

    ReplyDelete